From MaterialProject.org, the free architectural material catalog
CSI Number: 057020
- security, solar, partition or decorative screens
- wall coverings
- a variety of functional applications
- exterior facades
- wind breaks
- balustrades, stair and handrail systems
- ceilings, wall, floor & column coverings
- elevator cabs
- light diffusers and reflectors
Emerging uses / trends
- space sculpting
- Aesthetic architectural applications by incorporating color, texture and pattern.
Finish and aesthetic qualities
- Most often produced in stainless steel, though a variety of metals can also be used. They include brass, bronze, copper, and custom alloys.
- Degree of flexiblity, transparency, durability, width, weight, and texture vary per installation.
- Color coating can be applied to stainless steel to create a variety of hues.
- Reflective property of the surface can be altered by adjusting proceess parameters.
- LED lights can be attached to metal fabric to create still images, animated images, and colors, which can be controlled via computer programming.
Surface forms / shapes
- Attached to tensile structures to take on structure’s shape
- Can hang freely from ceiling
- Can range from $10-$200/ sq ft. depending on detail, density of design and installation method
- Custom per project
Primary structural use
- Non structural finish material.
- Attached to tensile structure for aesthetic architectural applications in interiors and exteriors.
- Three types of structural categories of metal fabrics are flexible one direction, flexible both directions, and rigid.
- High quality, noncorroding stainless steel requires no maintenance.
- In some cases, the product may need to be wiped down with mild soap and water.
- May be pressure washed if needed.
Dimensional and opening restriction
- Custom cut to size
- Maximum panel size 110’ x 26’
Manufacturing process and assembly
- Machine woven stainless steel, copper, brass, bronze, and aluminum.
- 100% recyclable
- Reduces solar radiation when used as sunshade
- Extremely resilient and durable, resistant to scrathches, denting, and corrosion
- Suitable for interior and exterior application
We need your help! The information regarding LEED qualifications for this material is still needed. Sign in and click the edit link above to add specific LEED credit and point qualifications to this material.
Life Safety & Rating Standards
- Fire and heat resistant
- Blair Dubak, spring 2008
- Lori Anderson, fall 2005
- GKD Metal Fabrics Website
- Cambridge Architectural Website
- IO Metal Fabrics Website
- Cascade Coil Drapery Website